What is a Hybrid Method?
A hybrid method of construction is a term for integrating conventional construction with alternative. I often tell clients that it does not have to be ‘either’ ‘or’, we can find ways to mix and match.
A well-designed, fully-integrated building is one which fully incorporates the client’s end goals and utilizes the resources they have available.
Some examples of hybrid systems can include:
- stud framing + cellulose insulation + natural plaster finishes
- stud framing + light straw clay insulation + wood siding
- Timber frame structure + strawbale
- Compressed earth block + rigid insulation + rainscreen siding
- Rammed earth south & west walls + stud walls with insulation north & east walls
You get the picture!
Low-carbon building solutions means analyzing all aspects of the project and creating the best solution.